The Capital Agartala (new) was founded in 1838 AD by Maharaja Krishna Kishore Manikya (1830-49 AD). The Agartala Municipality was instituted in 1871 AD during the reign of Maharaja Chandra Manikya (1862-96 AD). The 1st British Political Agent, Mr. A.W.B. Power appointed for hill Tipprah in 1871 AD, was offered the honour of being the Chairman of the Agartala Municipality. The municipality located at the crossing of Latitude N 23 –50` and Longitude E 91-17` covering 3 Sq. Km. Area during that period.